Wedding Vendors - Rock Paper Square Featured, Victoria BC

Tuesday 22 January 2019




Continuing with our wedding vendor spotlights, featuring local, savvy, and uber talented wedding event planners, we've got the amazingly talented Marika from Rock Paper Square today!  Before I met Marika, I was actually a bit intimidated to meet her.  Her social media pages were SO incredible, so modern and always had a super rad twist!  I thought she was going to be this intense power house, city girl through and through and initially thought my 'country demeanor' wouldn't be a match, but boy was I wrong!  Yes, she's an absolute power house, but the kindest breed around.  I met Marika a couple years back on a cold, wintery, vendor event downtown.  Most vendors didn't stray away from home that evening, so we were left with each other, hanging out and gabbing, talking all things weddings and getting to know each other.  By the end of our conversations, she had me hooked on her.  Such a kind hearted individual I eagerly wanted to work with.  Since then, we've had the opportunity to work together on a few wicked designs and I can't wait for future adventures together.  Her creative eye is truly outside the box, she's talented beyond belief, and well she makes up the perfect event planner.  So let's get to know Marika and view some of her favourite projects!



1.  How long have you been in business and why did you choose to be an event planner?

"I started my business in 2014 shortly after I moved to Victoria. My background is in Interior Design and up until I relocated from Calgary I was working at architectural firms doing the 8-5 dance. With design experience specializing in healthcare and corporate interiors I struggled to find my perfect fit in Victoria. I took the opportunity to search for something new that would engage me both professionally and creatively. I've always been interested in event planning and therefore explored the industry in Victoria. I reached out to a local wedding planner who took me under her wing for two seasons. That planner (Barb Walker at French Kiss Events) is one of the biggest supporters of my business and I feel truly fortunate. I wasn't sure how I'd enjoy the world of events but honestly as I jump into my fifth wedding season I wouldn't change a thing!"



2.  What makes your company unique, inspiring or different?  

"I strive to make meaningful decisions with/for my clients, whether that be sourcing a design package to fit their lifestyle or a venue that checks off their requirements. I'm constantly aiming to create meaning behind my decisions and doing so for the right reasons; not because it's the cheapest or quickest option but because it's the best option."



3.  Who are your ideal clients and why? 

"My ideal clients hold me accountable for the services I've been hired for but also trust the process and appreciate why they've hired me. When I'm given creative freedom in both planning + design (with of course a few requirements) the opportunities are endless and my clients are going to get the very best out of my services."



4.  Why should couples planning a wedding hire you?

"I'm reliable, capable, resourceful and fun (I love to laugh). With wedding planning + design my clients get the very best from my creativity and experience. Every client is important to me and I make sure they know it. I respond to each idea and request that I work with my client to make sure that what you see is what you want, in the most stylish and effective way possible. I understand what motivates personal style and I use my creative knowledge to execute what my clients want in a functional way. There is potential in everything."



5.  If there's one piece of advice to your prospective clientele to give, what would that be? 

"It's your wedding, so let's make it about you and your partner! I lean more towards modern day weddings with less traditional elements so if you're not into cutting a cake or tossing a bouquet let's not do that. I've even had a couple walk up the aisle together for their ceremony, it was magical and very empowering! I help focus my couples into elements that are unique to the two of them and I promise those details will make the most unique experience for your guests."

6.  Describe your design style when approaching events! 

"Totally custom! My design approach is a completely custom approach to event planning + design. No two weddings are the same because each wedding has a unique couple and their own life experiences. I'm constantly striving to stay on top of current design trends while respecting my clients budget requirements. My design process is an amalgamation of many parts and I love collaborating with my clients. Whether that be with a pinterest board or flipping through images over a cup of coffee (or wine). I respect that the design isn't about me and that I've been hired to create the best solution for each of my clients. I also love exploring design with colour and will continue to nudge my clients into the magical world of colour!"

7.  How far in advance should people contact you to work with?

"If couples are hiring me for Full Service Wedding Planning the ideal timeframe is 12-8 months prior to their wedding. I can plan a wedding in less time but I can't promise my coveted team of vendors or venues will still be available. "

Want to get ahold of Marika and book with her?  I don't blame you, check out Marika's social media links, give her a follow and enjoy her feeds!  

250.886.7065
ig@rockpapersquare
facebook@rockpapersquare


No comments

Blogging tips